Advent calendars are a fun way to count down the days until Christmas. Making your own advent calendar with doors is a great way to get creative and make something special for your family. With a few simple supplies, you can create a unique and festive advent calendar that your family will love.
In this guide, we’ll show you how to make an advent calendar with doors, including tips on how to decorate it and fill it with treats. So, let’s get started!
Crafting an Advent Calendar with Doors: A Step-by-Step Guide
As the holiday season approaches, there’s nothing quite like the excitement of counting down the days until Christmas. One delightful way to do this is by creating your very own Advent calendar with doors. This charming tradition allows you to reveal a small surprise or treat each day leading up to the big day. Join me as I take you through the process of making your personalized Advent calendar, step by step.
- A sturdy piece of cardboard or foam board
- Wrapping paper or craft paper
- Craft knife or utility knife
- Glue or double-sided tape
- Small treats or surprises
- Small, empty boxes or envelopes
- Number stickers or markers
- Ribbon or string
- Hole punch
- Decorative embellishments (optional)
Step 1: Prepare Your Base
Start by selecting a sturdy piece of cardboard or foam board. The size of your board will depend on how big you want your calendar to be. A typical size is 12×12 inches, but you can adjust it to your preference.
Step 2: Wrap Your Base
To make your calendar visually appealing, wrap your cardboard or foam board with festive wrapping paper or craft paper. Cut the paper to size, leaving a little extra to fold over the edges. Secure the paper to the board using glue or double-sided tape.
Step 3: Create the Doors
Now, it’s time to create the doors for your Advent calendar. You can either use small, empty boxes (like matchboxes) or craft envelopes. You’ll need 24 of them. If you’re using envelopes, you can easily make them by folding and sealing squares of paper.
Step 4: Number the Doors
Using number stickers or markers, label each door from 1 to 24, representing the days leading up to Christmas. Place these numbers on the front of each box or envelope.
Step 5: Attach the Doors
Arrange your numbered doors on your wrapped board in a grid pattern. Make sure they are evenly spaced and aligned. Use glue or double-sided tape to secure them in place, leaving one side open so you can easily insert surprises.
Step 6: Add Surprises
Now, the fun part! Fill each of your doors with small treats, trinkets, or messages. These could be chocolates, tiny toys, notes, or any surprises you like. Be creative and customize them to suit your preferences or the preferences of the person you’re making the calendar for.
Step 7: Create Hangers
To hang your Advent calendar, punch two holes at the top of your board. Thread a ribbon or string through the holes, forming a loop. This loop will allow you to hang your calendar on the wall.
Step 8: Decorate (Optional)
If you’d like, add some decorative embellishments to your Advent calendar to make it even more festive. You can use stickers, glitter, ribbon, or any other decorative elements you fancy.
Step 9: Hang and Enjoy
Find a suitable spot to hang your homemade Advent calendar, and each day leading up to Christmas, open one of the doors to reveal a delightful surprise. It’s a wonderful way to add some extra joy and anticipation to the holiday season.
Crafting your own Advent calendar with doors is a delightful holiday project that can be enjoyed by both children and adults. It allows you to infuse a personal touch into your Christmas traditions and build excitement as you count down to the big day. So gather your materials and get creative—your homemade Advent calendar will undoubtedly become a cherished part of your holiday celebrations.
Creative Ideas for Decorating Your Advent Calendar with Doors
- Paint each door a different color and add a festive ribbon to the top.
- Cut out shapes from colorful construction paper and glue them to the doors.
- Glue on small pieces of felt to create a festive pattern.
- Use stickers to decorate the doors.
- Cut out pictures from magazines and glue them to the doors.
- Use glitter glue to create a sparkly design.
- Use fabric scraps to create a patchwork pattern.
- Use buttons to create a fun design.
- Use sequins to create a shimmery effect.
- Use markers to draw a festive design.
- Use a hot glue gun to attach small ornaments to the doors.
- Use a hole punch to create a pattern of stars or snowflakes.
- Use a stencil to create a festive design.
- Use a paint pen to write a holiday message on each door.
- Use a glue gun to attach small bells to the doors.
- Use a glue gun to attach small pieces of ribbon, felt, fabric, yarn or twine to the doors.
Tips for Making an Advent Calendar with Doors on a Budget
- Make a DIY Advent Calendar with Cardboard Boxes: Gather some cardboard boxes of various sizes and cut out 24 doors. Decorate the boxes with festive colors and patterns. Fill each box with a small treat or activity for each day of Advent.
- Create a Paper Chain Advent Calendar: Cut out 24 strips of colorful paper and write a number on each one. Attach the strips together to form a paper chain. Hang the chain in a prominent place and let your family take turns opening a link each day.
- Reuse Gift Bags: Collect 24 gift bags of various sizes and colors. Write a number on each bag and hang them on a wall or door. Fill each bag with a small treat or activity for each day of Advent.
- Make a Fabric Advent Calendar: Gather some fabric scraps and cut out 24 squares. Sew the squares together to form a quilt-like Advent calendar. Fill each square with a small treat or activity for each day of Advent.
- Use a Shoe Organizer: Hang a shoe organizer on a wall or door and fill each pocket with a small treat or activity for each day of Advent.
- Make a Magnetic Advent Calendar: Gather some magnets and cut out 24 doors. Decorate the doors with festive colors and patterns. Attach the doors to a metal surface and fill each door with a small treat or activity for each day of Advent.
How to Personalize Your Advent Calendar with Doors
Welcome to the most exciting time of the year! The holiday season is here, and that means it’s time to get creative with your Advent calendar. With a few simple supplies, you can make your own Advent calendar with doors that you can personalize to make it unique and special.
First, you’ll need to find a box or container that you can use as the base for your Advent calendar. You can use a cardboard box, a wooden box, or even a plastic container. Once you have your box, you’ll need to decide how many doors you want to make. You can make as many or as few as you’d like, depending on how much time and effort you want to put into it.
Next, you'll need to find some materials to make the doors. You can use cardboard, wood, or even fabric. Once you have your materials, you can start to decorate the doors. You can use paint, markers, glitter, or any other craft supplies you have on hand. You can also add stickers, ribbons, or other decorations to make the doors even more special.
Finally, you’ll need to decide what to put behind each door. You can fill the doors with small treats, such as candy, chocolate, or even small toys. You can also put notes or messages behind each door to make the Advent calendar even more special.
Now that you have all the supplies and decorations you need, it’s time to assemble your Advent calendar. Start by attaching the doors to the box or container. Then, fill each door with the treats or messages you’ve chosen. Finally, hang the Advent calendar in a special place in your home and enjoy counting down the days until Christmas!
The Benefits of Making an Advent Calendar with Doors
The holiday season is a time of joy and anticipation, and what better way to celebrate than with an Advent calendar with doors? An Advent calendar with doors is a fun and creative way to count down the days until Christmas.
The first benefit of making an Advent calendar with doors is that it’s a great way to get the whole family involved in the holiday spirit. Each day, everyone can take turns opening a door and discovering what’s inside. It’s a great way to get the kids excited about the upcoming holiday and to get them involved in the festivities.
Another benefit of making an Advent calendar with doors is that it’s a great way to add a little bit of surprise and excitement to the holiday season. Each day, you can fill the doors with small treats, trinkets, or even a special message. This will make the countdown to Christmas even more exciting and memorable.
Finally, making an Advent calendar with doors is a great way to get creative and have fun. You can decorate the doors with festive colors and patterns, or even add a special message or drawing to each door. This will make the calendar even more special and unique.
Making an Advent calendar with doors is a great way to get the whole family involved in the holiday spirit and to add a little bit of surprise and excitement to the season. So why not get creative and make your own Advent calendar with doors this year?
Making an advent calendar with doors is a great way to get into the holiday spirit and count down the days until Christmas. It’s a fun and creative project that can be enjoyed by the whole family. With a few simple supplies and a little bit of time, you can create a beautiful and unique advent calendar that will be enjoyed for years to come.